What is Project Likkutei Sichos?
Project Likkutei Sichos is a grassroots initiative inspired by the upcoming Yud Shvat – Shivim Shana — the 70th Anniversary of the Rebbe’s leadership, to learn and complete the entire Likkutei Sichos over the next 8 years.
What are the goals of Project Likkutei Sichos?
There are three main goals to this project:
- To unite Yidden around the world in studying the Rebbe’s Torah, focused on learning Likkutei Sichos on a schedule that will culminate in the completion of the entire 39 volume set of Likkutei Sichos in approximately eight years.
- To create a support system that will provide a plethora of resources and tools to assist everyone in joining this initiative, regardless of background or level of Torah knowledge and training. We will provide multiple learning opportunities through video and audio shiurim geared to various levels of understanding, and coordinate and support local shiurim in communities around the world.
- To serve as a database that will ultimately become the online repository of everything that has been produced from each Sicha. Pilpulim, Haoros U’biurim, translations, articles, anthologies and anything else. We encourage the public to share any of these resources with us, so that the world can benefit from it.
Why is this project being launched now?
As we mark Shivim Shana – 70 years of the Rebbe’s Nesius, a new era is upon us. The Rebbe taught that a milestone of this magnitude inspires the urgency to invest refreshed and renewed energies toward our goals.
Likkutei Sichos is a treasure trove of the Rebbe’s edited sichos, providing us clarity and innovative depth in every element of life. Every aspect of Torah, from the literal “pshuto shel mikra” to the most profound ideas of Chassidus and Kabbalah, are explored, illuminated and brought to bear on our daily routines in the 39 volumes of Likkutei Sichos. They contain the framework with which we can prepare ourselves and the world for the coming of Moshiach.
“Ana Nafshi Kesavis Yehavis” — the Rebbe invested himself, his very essence, into Likkutei Sichos, and learning this precious gift is a fundamental pillar in our Hiskashrus with the Rebbe.
How will you keep up the excitement and passion amongst the learners to commit to the program?
While this is mostly dependent on the learner, we are confident that the cumulative energy of Yidden studying the same sichos around the world, as as the constantly updated shiurim and resources, will maintain and develop the excitement and dedication of all participants. Additionally, we hope to develop a digital system that will keep participants engaged, informed, and connected, as well as periodic Siyumim to keep the passion burning. If you have any further suggestions, we would love to hear from you.
What resources will Project Likkutei Sichos offer to help me learn?
We will have the following resources hosted on our website for every Sicha, with Hashem’s help:
- PDF of the original Sicha in Likkutei Sichos, courtesy of Kehos – While we encourage you to “own” the Sefer, these will be available to take along, or for easy access.
- 10 Minute Audio Shiur – Enjoy a 10 minute overview of the entire Sicha. Great for a quick review, or even to learn the main points of the Sicha quickly.
- Main Shiur – Audio/Video – This is the “classic” text-based shiur, covering the entire Sicha, and geared to those familiar with Likkutei Sichos.
- In-Depth Shiur – Audio – This is a Shiur focused on specific concepts discussed in the Sicha; it does not go through the Sicha page by page, but dissects central ideas in depth.
- Beginner Shiur Level 1 English – This is a class geared to Likkutei Sichos beginners. A basic anthology of the themes discussed in the sicha, delivered primarily by Chabad On Campus rabbis.
- Beginner Shiur Level 2 English – This is a class geared to Likkutei Sichos beginners, but slightly more advanced than level 1.
- Women’s Shiur – Audio – This is a shiur on the entire Sicha taught by women, for women.
- Dvar Torah – Enjoy a 5 minute presentation extracting a unique and practical lesson from the Sicha. Suitable for sharing at the Shabbos table, on Mivtzoim, etc.
- PowerPoint Presentation Audio/Video – A YouTube slideshow displaying content of the sicha with flow charts and visual aids, accompanied by a teaching voiceover. This slideshow, without the audio, can also be used by teachers in their lecture halls and classrooms.
- Hebrew & English Summaries PDF – A brief text summary of each Sicha, to assist with review and retention.
- Source Sheet PDF – PDF that displays all the sources quoted in the Sicha in full, with English translation, to support in-depth learning.
- Footnote Source Sheet PDF – PDF that displays all the sources quoted in the He’oros, to support learning on another level.
- Links to pre-existing shiurim – online by various esteemed Rabbonim.
- Links to pre-existing Sicha resources – translations, articles, in depth essays, synopses, and anthologies related to each Sicha.
Who will be teaching these shiurim?
There will be a rotation of prominent Maggidei Shiurim, listed on our site
For the week of Beshalach 5780:
- 10 Minute Shiur (Audio) – Rabbi Fishel Oster, Rabbi Moshe Gourarie
- 10 Minute Shiur Hebrew (Audio) – Rabbi Menachem Dubruskin, Rabbi Zalman Kaplan
- Regular Shiur (Audio/Video) – Rabbi Fishel Oster, Rabbi Moshe Gourarie
- Regular Shiur (Audio/Video) Hebrew – Rabbi Menachem Dubruskin, Rabbi Zalman Kaplan
- In-Depth Shiur (Audio) – Rabbi Levi Jacobson, Rabbi Leibel Schapiro
- Chabad House Shiur (Audio/Video) – Rabbi Dov Wagner, Rabbi Yosef Chaim Kantor
- Women’s Shiur (Audio) – Mrs. Freidy Yanover, Mrs. Rivky Kaplan
- Explaining Specific Difficult Concept (5 min) Audio – Rabbi Mendel Lipskier
- Live Broadcast – Rabbi Levke Kaplan
- Dvar Torah (Audio) – Rabbi Eli Friedman
Why are we starting with Chalakim Yud – Yud Daled? What was the logic in creating the learning schedule as you did?
We are starting with volumes 10-14 as there are usually two sichos per Parsha in these volumes, and we will be able to complete 5 volumes in 1 year. The learning schedule (link) will follow the order of Parshas HaShavua.
The schedule will begin with Parshas Beshalach in volume 11, and we will continue through the parshiyos in volumes 12 (Vayikra), 13 (Bamidbar), 14 (Devarim), and then Chelek 10 (Beraishis), culminating the first year with the sichos of Parshas Bo of volume 11 during the week of Yud Shevat 5781.
It is interesting to note that approximately half of the sichos printed in these volumes were originally edited and published by the Rebbe in the year 5733 which was during the celebration of Shivim Shana – 70 Years from the Rebbe’s birth. This point is emphasized in the introductions of these five volumes.
Is there anything else Project Likkutei Sichos intends to offer?
This project has endless potential in so many ways. While we do not want to bite off more than we can chew, here are some of our dreams and with Hashem’s help (and working with the proper organizations) we will accomplish them.
- Behind the scenes: a brief audio clip with the history and stories related to each Sicha.
- The audio / video of the original Farbrengen when and if available.
- App development for personal learning / tracking
- 24/6 live “ask the rabbi” via online chat for instant responses to difficulties arising while learning a Sicha.
- Full digital typeset of Likkutei Sichos searchable and indexed to sources online.
- Professional English translation of the entire Likkutei Sichos.
- Shiurim and worksheet for children
- Ksav Yad of Hagah to publish with each sicha
- Short 5 minute audio clip on any difficult concepts in each sicha
- Discount sale on Likkutei Sichos sets.
Why can’t I just learn on my own schedule?
You certainly can. However, beside the benefit of learning Likkutei Sichos to enhance our knowledge in all aspects of Torah and in strengthening our Hiskashrus to the Rebbe, there is a unique beauty and unifying force inherent in the concept of Chassidim learning and koching in the same Sichos each week. The Achdus and shared geshmak will certainly give great nachas to the Rebbe, and to Hashem.
As you can read in the Derher articles about the origins of Likkutei Sichos (Part 1 & Part 2), there was once an incredible feeling in the atmosphere when people would wait for, and then learn, share, and live with the weekly Likut (as a newly edited Sicha was referred to) that would be released. Now, this project will enable groups of Anash to share in this excitement once again, living each week together, around the world, with the Torah of the Rebbe.
What if I don’t have time?
We will be offering various learning tools on our site to facilitate learning, such as audio and video shiurim, clipped excerpts and summaries, etc. At minimum, a brief overview of the Sicha, without any inside reading needed, will give you the basic gist of the Sicha. Alternatively, you can choose to learn 1 of the weekly sichos from this schedule, and you will still have the benefit of the resources, and the unity with the other learners.
What if I want to learn more in depth?
We will offer files with the sources the Rebbe’s quotes in the Ha’oros, and in-depth shiurim for those who seek a more intense learning experience.
Is there a way I can go to a shiur in the weekly Likkutei Sichos or must I learn online?
Can I give a Shiur?
We hope to offer various shiurim on different levels and languages from a diverse list of teachers. All these shiurim will be accessible on the website. If you would like to submit a quality shiur, we would be happy to include it with the other shiurim. Click here to contact us and we will be in touch shortly.
Who is running this project?
This is a grassroots project and is not the sole initiative of any particular organization. Everyone can and is encouraged to participate, learn, give shiurim and help with creating more content to help engage and assist greater numbers of Yidden in signing up for the main goal: learning Likkutei Sichos.
I see you have a donation page, what do you need donations for?
So far it is amazing to say that this project was launched and is being run by over 30 volunteers who each have helped in their unique way, whether in content, research, tech, web development, outreach, communication and on and on. At present, the areas which cost money are:
- Web / Graphic Design
- Hosting / Communication
- Weekly Maggidei Shiurim
- Tech and Video production
- Print material preparation
Are there Dedication / sponsorship opportunities?
Please do consider sponsoring or dedicating a Sicha, a Shiur, a week of learning or the dedication of your choice. You can choose who you would like to dedicate this in honor of or in memory of. Click here for a few of many options available. Thank you in advance for your support!